Ruby Kate Chitsey, from Harrison, Arkansas, USA, at only 11 years old has been making peoples wishes come true! And not with magic…but with love. In fact, Ruby Kate is one of the most caring young people you will meet!
Ruby started her wish granting service after spending time visiting nursing homes with her mom who is a nurse. While speaking with some of her mom’s patients, she learned that many of them have little money or family. In fact, many survive on just $40 a month that is provided by the government for ‘extras’.
An ‘extra’ includes things like haircuts, dog food or a book. She learned about one person who had to give up her dog because she could not afford it. She felt like she had to do something to help them.
That’s when she started The Three Wishes project. She created a notebook and asked each resident, “If you could have three wishes, what would they be?” She also brought some friends up there with her, and they helped fill it out. She did this with about 50 people last summer.
Most of the wishes were very simple. Some people just wanted prayers. Others fast food or snacks. A pair of pants or shoes that fit. One person asked to go to a water park to watch children at play.
Ruby Kate and her mom started to raise funds locally to grant wishes. Then they started a GoFundMe campaign. So far, she has raised over $26,000, out of her $40,000 goal.
But that is sure to go up. Because Ruby Kate was just named “GoFundMe kid hero of the month”!
Her ultimate goal is to just make people happy. Ruby Kate is a great example of a young person taking action to right a wrong. In doing so, she is helping changes many peoples lives for the better.
Meet Ruby Kate in the inspiring video below and then see what you can do to help!
- Learn more about Ruby Kate and Three Wishes on her Go Fund Me page
- Check out other inspiring stories about caring and quotes about taking action
Topics for Discussion:
- What character traits does Ruby Kate exhibit?
- Do you know anyone like Ruby Kate?
- Is Ruby Kate a hero? Why or why not?
- What do you think it feels like to be one of the residents who Ruby Kate serves?
- Visit Ruby Kate’s Go Fund Me page to make a donation
- Talk to your parents and teachers about what you can do to help older people in your community.
- Visit a nursing home in your area with a parent and ask how you can be of help
- Here are some great ideas on how kids and families can help the elderly