Lukas Kusters grew up in Wilmington, Deleware loving the sport of football! He was so good at it that he became known by his team as “The Dutch Destroyer”. His dream was to one day play in the National Football League (NFL) for his favorite team, the Philadelphia Eagles.
When Lukas was just 9, he learned that he had a rare form of cancer. His battle lasted several months and he competed against the disease as hard as ever.
During his fight with cancer, the quarterback of the Eagles, Carson Wentz learned about Lukas’ illness. Wentz and his teammates decided to create a video to send it to Lukas in the hospital, wishing him well.
While receiving the video from the Eagles was amazing, it was Lukas’ response that was even more incredible. All he wanted to do was thank Carson Wentz by giving him one of his “Dutch Destroyer” wrist bands. In the face of his massive and growing illness, all that Lukas wanted to do was to show gratitude.
Through the Make a Wish Foundation, Wentz and his Eagle teammates arranged to visit Lukas in the hospital. They spent a great day together and Lukas thanked Wentz by giving him a wrist band. Not long after, Wentz took to the field wearing the bracelet in an NFL game! People around the world took interest in Lukas, his story of courage and gratitude, and his “Dutch Destroyer” bracelets. Thousands of dollars from sales of the bracelets went to help other families battling childhood cancer.
Although cancer took Lukas from the world, he left a legacy of courage and gratitude that live on around the world. Perhaps you will be inspired to be a little stronger and a little more grateful after learning about his story and actions? Watch this very inspiring video to learn more about Lukas’ incredible story, family and life.
- Learn more about Lukas, his family and his legacy here
- Click here for many great IMK stories and videos about brave people and animals
- Here are a bunch of IMK stories and quotes about gratitude
- Check out IMK quotes about strength and bravery and perseverance
- Learn more about cancer thanks to kidshealth.org
Topics for Discussion:
- What is most special about Lukas? What character traits does he exhibit?
- Who is the strongest person that you know? The most grateful? What makes them that way?
- What are some things you can do in your life to show more gratitude?
- Check out other inspiring stories about people helping those with cancer here on IMK and pick a way that you can help
- Purchase a wrist band to support livelikelukas.org and help families battling childhood cancer