“After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.” – Phillip Pullman
You may not yet believe it, but writing and storytelling have the power to change your life and the lives of others. Your writing skills will impact what college you go to, what career you pursue and how much of an impact you can have on the world.
Writing and storytelling are not easy. They take effort, time, practice and the courage to begin. They provide a way to express what you love and what excites you. They are a way to escape and create the world the way you would like it be.
The sooner you understand the power of writing and storytelling and building these skills, the better you will be. Check out these inspiring writing quotes and then take action with our resources below:
- “No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.” – Robert Frost
- “Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.” – John Jakes
- “All that I hope to say in books, all that I ever hope to say, is that I love the world.” – E.B. White
- “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” – Toni Morrison
- “I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.” – Anne Frank
- “You don’t write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say.” – F. Scott Fitzgeral
- “So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.” – Dr. Seuss
- “I kept always two books in my pocket, one to read, one to write in.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
- “My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do.” – Thomas Jefferson
- “Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wadsworth
- “Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere.” – Anne Lamott
- “All I need is a sheet of paper and something to write with, and then I can turn the world upside down.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Easy reading is hard writing.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne
- “I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions.” – James A. Michener
- “Write the kind of story you would like to read. People will give you all sorts of advice about writing, but if you are not writing something you like, no one else will like it either.” – Meg Cabot
- “The true alchemists do not change lead into gold; they change the world into words.” – William H. Gass
- “After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.” – Phillip Pullman
- “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” – Louis L’Amour
- “The scariest moment is always just before you start.” – Stephen Kind
- “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.” – Stephen King
- “You can make anything by writing.” – C.S. Lewis
- “I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I’m afraid of. ” – Joss Whedon
- “You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.” – Jack London
- “The most difficult thing about writing; is writing the first line.” Amit Kalantri
- “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” – Ernest Hemingway
Topics for Discussion:
- What is your favorite writing quote above? Why?
- How do you think writing can change the world for the better?
- Do you think writing and storytelling could impact your future? How so?
- What is the most exciting and fun thing to you about writing? What is the scariest or hardest thing about it?
- Join a writing club at school or learn how to start a writing club yourself
- Not all children are provided with an equal chance to write. 826 National provides free help with writing skills to students 6-18 across the USA.
- Connect with the Young Storytellers Foundation
- Connect with with an online community like youngwritersonline.net
- Think about what you can do to improve your own writing? Consider using this worksheet to set some goals for yourself
- Check out all of our posts on the topic of education.
- See all of our other great quotes for kids.
- Here is a great series of videos from NBCLearn featuring famous writers speaking to kids
- Here are some IMK posts that show the importance of reading, writing and education:
- Check out these videos on the importance and impact of writing: