Flame was a stray cat wandering around the streets of Greenville, South Carolina. One day he came upon the Medford Fire House.
The firemen decided to take him in. Flame liked it there. Most cats are bothered by loud noises, but Flame seemed to not let the noise bother him. They decided to keep him rather than turn him over to a shelter where he might not survive.
The firemen grew to love him. The job of a fireman can be very hectic. Flame provided a sense of calm to the firemen each time they returned to the fire house. They liked that a lot.
Flame also started to go with the firemen to talks in schools about fire prevention. Kids loved having him there. Flame also helped the firemen talk to kids about taking in unwanted animals so they are not left in shelters.
Flame shows the power of an animal to change many lives for the better. In 2017, Flame won the ASPCA’s Cat of the Year award. Check out his inspiring story here:
- Check out other inspiring stories and videos from IMK on the environment and animals
- Read inspiring quotes about kindness and caring
Topics for Discussion:
- Why did Flame and firemen form a bond?
- Do you know another animal who has changed someone’s life?
- Find out many different ways you can help animals with IMK in Action
- See you can help the ASPCA save animals
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.