Do you like to think about things that don’t yet exist? Do you like to solve problems or invent things? Do you like new ideas, trying new things, building, writing, drawing or acting? All of these, are your creativity at work!
Creativity is one of the superpowers that can help you become the best version of yourself and make the world a better place. The great thing is that everyone has the power to be creative in their own way. But it can take also take some work. As Mary Lou Cook said, “Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.”
Check out these great creativity quotes and then start creating!
- “Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative place where no one else has ever been.” Alan Alda
- “Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up.” Pablo Picasso
- “There is no innovation and creativity without failure. Period.” Brene Brown
- “Creativity can be described as letting go of certainties.” Gail Sheehy
- “The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.” Sylvia Plath
- “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” Maya Angelou
- “We are, ourselves, creations. And we, in turn, are meant to continue creativity by being creative ourselves.” Julia Cameron
- “There is no time for cut-and-dried monotony. There is time for work. And time for love. That leaves no other time.” Coco Chanel
- “When we engage in what we are naturally suited to do, our work takes on the quality of play, and it is play that stimulates creativity.” Linda Naiman
- “Creativity comes from trust. Trust your instincts. And never hope more than you work.” Rita Mae Brown
- “The inner fire is the most important thing mankind possesses.” Edith Södergran
- “Creativity is…seeing something that doesn’t exist already. You need to find out how you can bring it into being and that way be a playmate with God.” Michele Shea
- “Creativity is contagious. Pass it on.” Albert Einstein
- “Creativity requires faith. Faith requires that we relinquish control.” Julia Cameron
- “There’s room for everybody on the planet to be creative and conscious if you are your own person. If you’re trying to be like somebody else, then there isn’t.” Tori Amos
- “To me creative living is any life that is guided more strongly by curiosity than fear.” Elizabeth Gilbert
Here is a video by Kid President on How To Be An Inventor:
- Click here to see many InspireMyKids stories and videos about people that demonstrate what creativity is all about
- Click here for other great quotes for kids
- Learn more about Alexander Graham Bell, whose creativity changed the world
Topics for Discussion:
- What are your top 3 favorite quotes above? Why?
- In what ways are you creative?
- Who is someone famous or who you know that displays creativity? Is there anything you can learn from them?
- Can you think of times when you like to be creative? If you’re comfortable sharing, tell about it.
- Research project option: Choose an invention, advancement in technology, or any other subject that has been spawned by someone’s creativity. Research and write about it. What inspired them to do what they did? *Note to teachers: this is designed to be a short essay, but could turn into much more, depending upon your class level.
- List a few ways that you are creative. Can you think of a way to help someone or something by putting your creativity to work?
- Are you curious about a problem you see in the world. Thinking of an invention that could solve it and learn how to start your own business thanks to PBS
- Find a cause that can use your creativity, such as the environment, and see what you can do to help. For example, click here for a great list of ideas to help animals from the ASPCA or here for ways to help the environment.