What do you think of when you hear the word “risk”? Jumping out of a plane or bungee jumping? Physical risk is one type of risk and can be dangerous. But not all risk is bad. In fact, there are many, many kinds of good risks!
So what what kinds of risk are good?
Taking a chance even though you might fail. Getting out of your ‘comfort zone’. Carefully thinking before taking action. Like any other skill, you have to practice risk-taking and learn from your mistakes.
So, what are some things that would put you out of your comfort zone? It could be as simple as volunteering, giving a speech on stage, or trying out for a new sport! It may seem scary and uncomfortable while you are doing them. But each time you push your limits, you can learn about yourself and become more confident.
Smart risk taking will help you succeed in life. Even if you fail, you have just found one way not to do something. You can learn from this and move forward.
Every day you can take a chance on something new. You can talk to someone new at school or start a new club. When you put yourself out there, you overcome your fears. This allows you to take more chances in life and experience more things. When you take a chance, you might discover a hidden talent or activity that you love.
This collection of quotes below show the importance of taking smart risks. Follow their advice, take a chance, get out of your comfort zone and become the best version of yourself!
- “The biggest risk is not taking any risk… In a world that changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks.” – Mark Zuckerberg
- “Never stop taking risks. Just keep reaching.” – Ryan Eggold
- “Just taking risks for risk’s sake, that doesn’t do it for me. I’m willing to take risks that I think are worth it, and I’ve worked so hard to make sure that I survive.” – Chris Hadfield
- “Do one thing every day that scares you.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “I was not willing to give up because I was born to like taking risks and that is my way of life.” – Alain Robert
- “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas A. Edison
- “You only do good work when you’re taking risks and pushing yourself.” – Sally Hawkins
- “Without risks, there can’t be breakthroughs.” – Peter Diamandis
- “You can’t get anywhere in life without taking risks.” – Esme Bianco
- “I think you make impacts by taking risks.” – Shenae Grimes
- “I don’t believe in pitfalls. I believe in taking risks and not doing the same thing twice.” – Guy Laliberte
- “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas A. Edison
- “Some people revel in taking risks, and some go through life taking no risks at all.” – Nicholas Winton
- “Don’t be afraid to have a reality check. Taking risks is OK, but you must be realistic.” – Joy Mangano
- “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” – T. S. Eliot
- “If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
- “Risk comes from not knowing what you’re doing.” – Warren Buffett
- “Our lives improve only when we take chances – and the first and most difficult risk we can take is to be honest with ourselves.” – Walter Anderson
- “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas A. Edison
- “If the risk is fully aligned with your purpose and mission, then it’s worth considering.” – Peter Diamandis
- “Everything in life has some risk, and what you have to actually learn to do is how to navigate it.” – Reid Hoffman
- “I do what I feel is right. I am not scared to walk on the new path and take risk.” – Aamir Khan
- “You don’t break ground by doing the same thing over and over and over. That’s like standing in place. You have to risk to gain it all.” – Corey Taylor
- “Risk it; go for it. Life always gives you another chance, another go at it. It’s very important to take enormous risks.” – Mary Quant
- “We need to risk, we need to dare to risk and fail greatly because that’s the only way we grow.” – Emilio Estevez
- “It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not risk cannot win.” – John Paul Jones
- “The only risk is not taking the risk. You’ve got to take that step.” – Jaycie Phelps
- “The message is risk, really risk. Be yourself. Create.” – Mary Daly
- “Forgiving is love’s toughest work, and love’s biggest risk.” – Lewis B. Smedes
- “I have always believed that the risk takers are eventually rewarded.” – Kevin Spacey
- “If you risk nothing, then you risk everything.” – Geena Davis
Do you ever feel scared? Are there times when you feel you would be really good at something, but don’t take a chance? Maybe you should change the way you are thinking? Maybe you are a leader! Watch this brief video and think about your achievements. You may just become a bit more confident to take some good risks!
- Check out how the founder of Amazon had to take a big risk to start his company.
- Take a look at our full collection of inspiring quotes for kids and students.
- How well do you deal with rejection or failure? Take this quiz to find out!
- Here are seven reasons why risk-taking leads to success.
Topics for Discussion:
- What are some things that you have taken a risk on? What was the outcome?
- Is there anything in your life that you feel you should take a risk on? What is holding you back?
- What at your top 3 quotes from the list above? Why?
- Were you ever told to not “be scared”? How did that make you feel? What happened?
- What do you believe taking risk requires? What could build your confidence to take more risk?
- Have you ever failed at something? What did you learn from the situation?
- At bedtime each night, think of some things that you took risk on that day. When you awaken, think of 2 things that you could take a chance on. Do this for 30 days and you will make it a habit for life! Then ask your parent(s) and siblings to try it!
- Write down 5 of your biggest strengths and unique qualities. Keep this list by your bed and look at it every week to remind yourself what makes you you!
Teacher and Parent Features:
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.
- Check out our growing list of Lesson Plans that can be used alongside our quotes and articles
- Discover how to help children take good risk.
- Here are some strategies to create a space for risk-taking in the classroom.
- Check out these 10 tips for teaching kids when to take risks.