Many kids look forward eating lunch with their friends at school each day. But for some kids, especially those who are new to a school, lunch can be a very lonely time. While many kids are sitting with their friends, others spend each lunch period alone.
Denis Estimon, a senior, at Boca Raton Community High School in Florida noticed this problem. And then he and some friends decided to do something about it! They started a movement to make sure that no student at their school would ever eat lunch alone!
The friends started a club called “We Dine Together”. It’s mission is to make sure that no student spends lunch on their own. The club grew quickly. Jean Max Meradieu, a member of the club, even quit the football team to devote more time to helping other kids!
“#WeDineTogether” has been making a difference for many kids every day. Now, Denis and his teammates are trying to spread their cause to other schools around the country. Watch their awesome story and maybe it will inspire you to help kids at your school!
Topics for Discussion:
- What problem does We Dine Together solve?
- What character traits does Denis exhibit?
- Do you feel that your school could use a club like We Dine Together? How might your school or be different if the club started up at your school? Would you join it? Why or why not?
- Think about what one thing you could do to bring more kindness into your school and community? Go make it happen!
- Stopbullying.gov provides are a bunch of great ideas on what you can do to stop bullying in your home, school or community