While most girls like to play with dolls, 10 year old Gianni Graham of Norfolk, Virginia has chosen to give them away! She gives them to girls in need. Girls who live in foster care, homeless shelters and others who live in poverty.
Gianni started with Barbies. Her goal was to collect 1,000 to give away. As she told TV station WAVY “Every doll deserves a doll.”
She spends her time writing inspiring notes to each girl and packing the dolls for delivery.
She hit that goal last year and has gone far past it, now collecting over 5,000 dolls! In fact, with her parents help she created the Dolls for Dolls Foundation.
Her simple idea is now bringing joy to many, many girls around the world. And it serves as a great example of everyone can use their own talents, ideas and efforts to help others around them.
Meet Gianni and here more about her inspiring story in the video below:
- Visit Gianni’s website to learn more about her cause
- Check out more IMK stories and quotes for inspiring girls
Topics for Discussion:
- What is different about Gianni than most children her age?
- Is Gianni a role model? Why or why not?
- What character traits does Gianni show?
- Check out the Doll for a Doll website to learn more about how you can help Gianni’s cause
- Think about something you can do to take action and help others. Is there a certain cause that you want to help? Is there a special talent or passion you have that you can use to help others? What does your community need? How can you do something about it? Check out our Make A Difference section for more ideas on how kids can make the world a better place around them.