Over the years, we have featured many inspiring stories of people who have given their time, talents and money to help others. Chris Dempsey, of Frankfort, Illinois is now one of those people.
Chris learned about a woman, Heather Krueger, who had liver disease. Heather had only two months to live. Chris had learned a lot about serving others during his time as a Marine.
So he did the right thing…he tried to help. Success in life comes does not come from what we have, but from what we give and although he did not know Heather, Chris decided to get tested to see if his liver would be a match for her.
Amazingly, it was! So, they met each other and arranged for a medical operation to remove part of Chris’s liver and have it implanted into Heather. This would enable her to live a healthy life.
The operation was a success! Heather is now healthy and was recently able to get married thanks to Chris’ gift of life. Chris Dempsey’s life has also improved a lot since his donation. Watch the inspiring video below to find out how!
- Here are more great IMK stories and videos about giving that show what a big impact it can have
- Check our quotes about giving and generosity
- Did you know that organs from one person can save or help as many as 50 people! And that organ donation saved over 25,000 lives each year! Learn all about the importance of organ donation from the organdonation.gov
Topics for Discussion:
- What inspired Chris to donate his liver to Heather?
- What does giving mean to you? What are some ways you can show these things?
- Have you ever given of your time, talents or money to benefit someone else? Explain. How did it make you feel? How did it impact others?
- Who is the most giving person you know? How do they do so?
- Talk about a time when you did or did not show generosity?
- Write down 2 ways that you can be more giving towards others TODAY? Go out and do it! Today!
- Learn how you can get involved to help others in need of organ donations