Richie Parker has never listened to people telling him what he could not do. Born without arms, he and his parents did not let this stop him from having a normal childhood.
This attitude served him well as he became an adult. His amazing perseverance and focus has enabled him to not only live independently, but become an engineer for NASCAR’s most successful team. Hendrick Motorsports.
Richie has followed his passion for cars from learning how to drive into a full time career, helping to design cars used by drivers such as Kasey Kahne, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
ESPN filmed a wonderful story about Richie’s road from disability to dreams. It provides great inspiration for all of us to be grateful for what we have and make the most of it. Check out his amazing story below:
- Watch other great IMK stories about children and adults that exhibit perseverance or who have special needs
- Learn more about Richie Parker’s team at Hendrick Motorports
Topics for Discussion:
- How would you describe Richie Parker’s attitude and what effect has it had on his life?
- What is one thing you want to try to do now that you have seen what Richie Parker can do?
- Think about a big goal that you have. It could be for school, for family, or any other important area of your life. Write it down, using this goal worksheet or create your own worksheet. Keep track of your progress, stick with it and reward yourself when you have completed it. Keep doing this and you will be surprised at how much you can achieve.
- Consider holding a fundraiser for the International Child Amputee Network to help children without limbs achieve their dreams