Well, it’s not exactly a camp run by polar bears! It’s more like a camp run every year during polar bear migration time. And it’s run by Polar Bears International (PBI).
Polar Bears International is the world’s leading polar bear protection group. They focus on saving bears from the many problems they face in the modern world. These include climate change and sea ice loss.
PBI educates kids from around the world about the wonders of polar bears and gets them involved in helping to protect them. In particular, they want to inspire kids to reduce CO2 amounts to help combat climate change.
This video tells about a camp experience that PBI runs and includes the voices of teens who find the camp to be a life-changing experience.
Learn more about how polar bears are being impacted by the environment in this video by PBI and the National Wildlife Federation.
- Check out this website for ways you can help reduce CO2 amounts!
- Check out the Polar Bears International and National Geographic to learn more about polar bears
Topics for Discussion:
- How are polar bears impacted by climate change?
- What does the phrase “think global, act local” mean?
- What can you do to help the environment in your own house or school?
- Interested in going up north to see the polar bears? See the Polar Bears International website to learn how you could win a trip by starting a community project to reduce carbon emissions!
- Here are several projects you can do to help polar bears
- Get some great ideas at the Polar Bears International website about changes you can make every day to benefit the environment and polar bears!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.