Bethlehem, New Hampshire principal, Courtney Vashaw, has always encouraged her students to live for something bigger than themselves. Clearly, the senior class at Profile Junior-Senior High took this important life lesson to heart.
For four years, the senior class raises money to take a big overnight trip. Through bake sales and other fundraisers over the years, the Class of 2015 raised over $8,000! But this year, instead of spending the money on themselves, they decided to give the money to their principal, Ms. Vashaw, who is battling a rare form of cancer.
This act of kindness, generosity and compassion is a great example of putting others first. The students said that the decision was an easy one as Principal Vashaw was a leader who always put THEM first. Her caring, support and encouragement over the years, clearly made a big impact on them!
Check out this video that tells this inspiring story of kindness and compassion:
- Here is a link to other IMK inspiring stories about people with cancer
- Learn more about cancer thanks to kidshealth.org
- Check out our list of kindness quotes for kids and empathy quotes for kids
- Here is a video about an elementary school and its many acts of kindness!
Topics for Discussion:
- Do you know someone who always ‘puts others first’? What impact have they had on your life?
- What does it mean to ‘live for something bigger than yourself’?
- Did you wonder what causes cancer? See the chart below courtesy of Cancer Research UK:
- Do you have a teacher, parent or role model who puts you first? Take the time out to thank them.
- Check out the Random Acts of Kindness website to learn ways you can be kind to others!