Kindness and caring…two very simple words, but two actions that can change your world and the world around you. They are qualities that, when you practice them, bring happiness not only to others but back to you as well.
Everyday we have many choices to make in the way we treat other people and things. These little choices add up to big things. They define who we are as a person and our impact on the world.
Now here are some great kindness quotes to inspire your actions:
- “Never believe that a few caring people can’t change the world. For, indeed, that’s all who ever have.” – Margaret Mead
- “What this world needs is a new kind of army – the army of the kind.” – Cleveland Amory
- “The simple act of caring is heroic.” – Edward Albert
- No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. – Aesop
- “When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.” – Abraham Joshua Heschel
- “Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.” – Desmond Tutu
- “Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.” – Henry James
- “When you are kind to others, it not only changes you, it changes the world.” – Harold Kushner
- “I feel the capacity to care is the thing which gives life its deepest significance.” – Pablo Casals
- “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.” – Plato
- “Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, Courage in your own.” – Adam Lindsay Gordon
- “You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” – Dalai Lama
- “If you want to lift yourself up, lift someone else up.” – Booker T. Washington
- “Be a little kinder than you have to.” – E. Lockhart
- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” – Dr. Seuss
- “Always stop to think whether your fun may be the cause of another’s unhappiness.” – Aesop
- “To belittle, you have to be little.” – Kahlil Gibran
- “Of all virtues and dignities of the mind, goodness is the greatest.” – Francis Bacon
- “Goodness is the only investment that never fails.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “Never be so busy as not to think of others.” – Mother Teresa
- “The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.” – John Holmes
- “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” – Leo Buscaglia
- “That best portion of a man’s life, his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.” – William Wordsworth
Here are some great IMK posts that show what a tremendous impact caring and kindness can have!
- Random Acts of Kindness – A Little Act Can Go A Long Way!
- Wyatt Erber – The Biggest of Hearts in a Very Small Package
- Hailey Scheinman – Taking Siterly Love to a Whole New Level
- Animal Rescue: What You Can Do
- Kids Helping Kids Fix Broken Hearts – The Name Says It All
- Olivia Bouler – Her Passion Is For the Birds
Topics for Discussion:
- What do caring and kindness mean to you? What are some ways you can show these things?
- Which of the caring and kindness quotes and posts above inspires you the most?
- Think about the people in your life and just one special way you can show them how much you care today!
- Visit the Kids Caring 4 Kids website to learn about this great organization of kids who practice caring and kindness and how you can get involved!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.