A habit is defined by Wikipedia as a “settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up.”
Habits are a big deal. Your habits, or rituals, become who you are. Choose and practice good habits and things will go well for you. Choose and practice bad habits and you will face more troubles in life and school. It is a simple as that!
Habits impact our success in just about everything we do, including:
So, understanding and improving your habits is one of the most important things you can do to become the best version of yourself. To start you on your road to be better habits…first, learn more about the importance of habits by reading some of our great habit quotes for kids below. Then, check out our resources below to learn how to take action and improve your habits.
- “If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude.” – Colin Powell
- “Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.” – Jim Ryun
- “Daily deeds determine destiny.” – Barney Matthews
- “Your beliefs become your thoughts; Your thoughts become your words; Your words become your actions; Your actions become your habits; Your habits become your values; Your values become your destiny.” – Mahatma Ghandi
- “Happiness is a habit. Cultivate it.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “Bad habits are like a oomfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out of.” – Proverb
- “The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken.” – Samuel Johnson
- “Excellence is not a singular act, but a habit. You are what you repeatedly do.” – Shaquille ONeal
- “First we make our habits, then our habits make us.” – Charles C. Noble
- “Our character is basically a composite of our habits.” – Stephen R. Covey
- “Habit is stronger than reason.” – George Santanaya
- “Habits are cobwebs at first; cables at last.” – Chinese Proverbs’
- “We become what we repeatedly do.” – Stephen Covey
- “Sow a thought, and you reap and act; Sow an act, and you reap a habit; Sow a habit, and you reap a character; Sow a character, and you reap destiny.” – Samuel Smiles
- “The best kind of happiness is a habit you’re passionate about.” – L. Adler
- “95% of everything you do is the result of habit.” – Aristotle
- “Winners make a habit of doing things losers don’t want to do.” – Lucas Remmerswaal
- “Let go of your old tired habits and plant new habits in fertile soil.” – Harley King
- “Courage is a requirement for facing your fears, doing things differently, and applying any new habits that align with and support your goals.” – John Manning
- “Great habits sharpen our thoughts and make us great.” – Debasish Mridha
Check out this video with Elmo and Olympic Boxer Marcus Browne as they discuss the importance of healthy habits:
Listen to BJ Fogg talk about 15 ways to develop good habits and change your behavior:
- Here is a list of 10 good habits that every student should practice
- Learn more about habits at Wikipedia
- Check out our other inspiring quotes and stories about a key character trait related to habits – perseverance
Topics for Discussion:
- What does it take to change or create a habit?
- Do you know someone who has great habits? Who are they and what are some of their habits?
- Talk about one good habit you have. How has it helped you?Now talk about one bad habit that you have and how it has hurt you?
- It takes 66 days to start or change a habit. What is one habit you would like to change? Write it down. Make a plan to change it. Commit to practicing it for 66 days.
- Here is a short presentation by BJ Fogg to get your started on creating tiny habits