Do you ever get bored sitting in math class, wondering why you even need to learn the stuff in the first place? Well, this feeling is not too unusual. But the truth is, learning and using math is something that plays an amazingly important role in your life! From the moment you wake, all through your day, math is a significant part of virtually every aspect of your world……..
Here are just some of the things in daily life that utilize math:
- the food you eat
- the clothes you wear
- TVs, computers, and phones
- calendars and clocks
- the sun, moon, planets, and stars
- your body, your mind, your emotions – in short, you!
As you can see from the list above, math really IS all around, impacting your life every single day.
This video shows just how important math is in our world!
- Here is a website that shows lots of different ways math is used in everyday life.
- This video shows just what an important role math plays in nature!
Topics for Discussion:
- What do you think the world would be like if math were not a part of it?
- Can you think of a way you used math in your life today?
- Visit the Cool Math Games website to play some great math games that emphasize the role of math in the world today!
- Visit the Hunkin’s Experiments website for awesome experiments that also emphasize the role of math in the world today!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.