Kayla Montgomery is battling Multiple Sclerosis (MS), yet she happens to be one of the top female runners in North Carolina. MS is a disease that interrupts communication between the brain and the rest of the body. MS often makes standing and walking very difficult, let alone running.
With every race Kayla completely looses feeling in her legs and collapses into her coach’s arms at the finish line. Afterwards, her team ices down her legs until she can feel them once again.
Kayla’s running is truly an inspiration to many patients with MS or any other disability that might hold them back.
Watch her story below told by ESPN’s Tom Rinaldi and let us know what you think.
- Visit the National MS Society website to learn more about Multiple Sclerosis and it’s effect on the body
- Read more about Kayla Montgomery’s life and story on Wikipedia
- Check out other IMK inspirational stories and motivational quotes for kids about overcoming disabilities and obstacles
Topics for Discussion:
- What qualities does Kayla show by continuing to run even though she has MS?
- What do you find to be inspiring about Kayla?
- Have you ever faced a difficult obstacle that you thought you could not overcome? What did you do?
- Find a way in your school to recognize a person with a disability
- Visit the Athletes with Disabilities Network website to learn about other disabled athletes and how you can help support them