Terry Fox had bone cancer. As a result, he ended up having his leg amputated. As he endured this hardship and saw others around him with cancer, it sparked him. He decided to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. “Somewhere the hurting must stop,” Terry would say. Terry died before completing his run across Canada. But his heroic legacy lives on and inspires us to have the courage to do things for the greater good. This video tells Terry’s story.
- Here is an article that tells all about Terry Fox.
- This video is a song by Rod Stewart that he wrote and recorded as a tribute to Terry.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why do you think Terry decided to try to run across Canada?
- What is the biggest lesson that you learned from this story?
- Do you know anyone who has cancer? Find out what you can do to help make their life a little easier as they deal with their disease.
- See the American Cancer Society website to learn more about cancer and what you can do to help those afflicted with it.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.