Recently, at Harvard Business School, polar explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton became the subject of a new case study. According to professor Nancy Koehn, “His achievements on the ice have much to teach business students and executives.” That’s why she created the case study, which she called “Leadership in Crisis: Ernest Shackleton and the Epic Voyage of the Endurance”.
This video tells Sir Ernest Shackleton’s incredible story.
- Here is an article about Sir Ernest Shackleton and his amazing expedition.
- This article tells about a 1999 NOVA expedition that retraced Sir Ernest Shackleton’s journey.
- Visit the Shackleton 100 website to learn rich details about the history, crew and activities surrounding the voyage.
Topics for Discussion:
- What were some of the extraordinary leadership qualities Sir Shackleton showed?
- What would you have done if you had been in Sir Shackleton’s place when the ship froze into ice?
- Is there something you can do to help someone who might need a “rescue”? Follow the example of Sir Ernest Shackleton and do it!
- Visit the Harvard Business School website to learn more about this institution and how you can support them.