In 1995, Jeff Bezos left a safe job that he was doing well at to take a big risk. He started a company to sell books online at a time when few products were being sold on the internet. The company he started is Amazon.com and now they sell everything from Groceries to Big Screen TV’s!
As a child, Jeff was a clever kid who was talented at math and inventing. As an example, as a boy he created an electric alarm to keep his younger siblings out of his room!
Beyond these talents, he learned many important lessons as a child that helped shape who he is, how he treats people and how he does business. In this very inspiring speech that he delivered at Princeton University, where he graduated from, Jeff talks about his childhood, the importance of kindness and making good choices.
- Here are other great IMK stories about inventors and kid entrepreneurs
- Learn more about Jeff Bezos on Wikipedia
Topics for Discussion:
- What did Jeff learn from his grandparents that has effected the way he lives his life?
- How do our choices impact our lives?
- What choices have shaped who you are as a person?
- Do you have any ideas for inventions that could improve people’s live or make the world better?
- Get involved with some of the great projects of the Bezos Family Foundation and Student Rebuild which Jeff created to help children and students around the world
- Find a Camp Invention or Club Invention in your area to have fun, learn about inventing and make your own inventions!
- Get inspired by the many great kids inventions at Inventnow.org and learn how to make your idea a reality
- Here is a great list of invention programs and contests for kids
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.