When he was very young, cancer forced the removal of Jake Olson’s left eye. After that, he overcame the return of cancer eight times…but the ninth time proved too much and his right eye also had to be removed.
Jake’s courage and optimism in the face of potential blindness has been extraordinary. He captured the attention of one of the nation’s greatest sports teams, is now trying to become the first blind pro golfer, is raising money for other blind children and is writing a book.
He is an amazing inspiration to us all. These videos tell about Jake’s incredible story.
Topics for Discussion:
- How would it feel to lose your sight after being able to see?
- What qualities did Jake show in facing his ensuing blindness with such a positive attitude?
- Visit the Retinoblastoma website to learn more about the disease that so radically altered Jake’s life.
- Check out the Kids Fight Cancer website to learn more about how you can help fight cancer!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.