“Life is good.” You may have seen or even own a t-shirt or hat that with that quote.
So what is it that makes life good? What makes for a good life? The answer is…lots of things!
A good life comes from having the right attitude and taking the right actions. Here a few things that make life great:
- having fun
- enjoying the love of family and friends
- doing things that you love to do
- becoming all that you can be
- helping others
- enjoying each moment
Here are some inspiring and famous quotations about the gift of life and how to live a good life:
- “We know what we are but know not what we may be.” – Shakespeare
- “Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart.” – Confucious
- “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
- “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why we call it ‘The Present’.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Fall seven times, stand up eight.” – Japanese Proverb
- “What one can be one must be.” – Unknown
- “Life is a gift.”
- “Not only must we be good, but we must also be good for something.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “You’ve got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was.” – Irish Proverb
- “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
- “Row, row, row your boat. Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.” – Alice Munro
- “I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.” – Edward Everett Hale
- “Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires and a touch that never hearts.” – Charles Dickens
- “May you live all the days of your life.” – Jonathan Swift
- “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…” – Dr. Seuss
- “The time is always right to do what is right.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Every action in our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity.” – Edwin Hubbel Chapin
- “In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.” – Theordore Roosevelt
- “. . . that best portion of a good man’s life. / His little, nameless, unremembered acts / Of kindness and of love.” – William Wadsworth
- “Time’s fun when you’re eating flies.” – Kermit the Frog
- “The years teach much the days never know.” – Emerson
- “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?” – Dr. Seuss
- “Do a little more than you’re paid to. Give a little more than you have to. Try a little harder than you want to. Aim a little higher than you think possible, and give a lot of thanks to God for health, family, and friends.” – Art Linkletter
- “To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else.” – Emily Dickensen
- “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.” Henry David Thoreau
- “It’s good to have an end to journey toward, but it’s the journey that matters in the end.” – Ursula K. LeGuin
- “Climb ev’ry mountain, Ford ev’ry stream, Follow ev’ry rainbow, ‘Til you find your dream.” – Sound of Music
- “We grow great by dreams.” – Woodrow Wilson
- “So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. And remember that life’s A Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) Kid, you’ll move mountains.” ― Dr. Seuss
- “Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale.” – Hans Christen Andersen
- “To me every hour of the day and night is an unspeakably perfect miracle.” – Walt Whitman
- “Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.” – Helen Keller
- “I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.” E.B. White
- “To do the useful thing, to say the courageous thing, to contemplate the beautiful thing: that is enough for one man’s life.” – T.S. Eliot
- “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” – Confucious
Take a look at this video of Nick Vujicik, a person who has made the most of his life and has some great lessons to teach about living a good life.
Topics for Discussion:
- What is your favorite quotation about life above? Why?
- Can you think of someone who lives life to the fullest? What is most special about them? What do they do that is different than others?
- Think about one or two things you can do to improve your life. Consider using this worksheet to set some goals for yourself
InspireMyKids is all about providing examples of people making the most of their life. Here are some inspirational stories and videos about people who demonstrate great care for other people. See all of our other great quotes for kids.
Here are some inspiring stories about kids and adults who are making the most of their life:
- Zach Hodskins -One Armed Star Hoopster and Amazing Role Model
- 13 Year Old Shelby Grenenc is One Good Egg
- Hailey Scheinman – Taking Sisterly Love to a Whole New Level
- Samantha Garvey – From Homelessness to High Honor