Animals are some of the greatest friends and companions that we have. Beyond friendship, they provide us with food, entertainment and love. Some people, such as farmers, the blind and the sick, depend on them to live their lives. How we treat and respect animals reflects who we are as people and also as nation.
There is a lot you can do to help animals and there are many ideas listed below! What you eat, what you buy and how you live all have a huge impact on animals! The first thing you can do is very simple: respect them and treat them with kindness.
Here are some inspiring quotations that capture the impact that animals have on us and the impact that our actions have on animals:
“I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being”. – Abraham Lincoln
“…he will be our friend for always and always and always.” – Rudyard Kipling
“Any glimpse into the life of an animal quickens our own and makes it so much the larger and better in every way.” – John Muir
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” – Anatole France
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” – Mohandas Gandhi
“Happiness is a warm puppy.”― Charles M. Schulz
“You can judge a man’s true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.” ― Paul McCartney
“Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.” ― Alfred A. Montapert
“No one in the world needs a mink coat but a mink.” – Murray Banks
“A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.” — Chinese Proverb
“The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.” – Samuel Butler
Check out all of our stories and videos about inspiring animals
See all of our other great quotes for kids
Topics for Discussion:
- What is your favorite quote above? Why?
- Have you had an animal impact your life? How so?
- How do you think the world would be different without animals?
- Here are 50 ways to help animals from PAWS.org
- Here are 10 Ways You Can Save Animals from Petakids.org
- Think about what you can do to help animals. Consider using this worksheet to set some goals for yourself.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.