It all started with one little quilt…..
In 2006, Linda Wieck made a small quilt for her son-in-law Todd to bring with him as he prepared to deploy to Iraq. She thought it would be nice for him to have a bit of the comfort of home he was leaving behind. But when Todd went to his training, his fellow soldiers saw his quilt and wanted their own little pieces of comfort as well. So Linda made quilts for all of them, and with that the Camo Quilt Project was born!
Today, with the help of many volunteers and donors, the Camo Quilt Project is in full swing. Thanks to Linda’s inspirational beginning, it has sent more than sixteen thousand quilts to military troops all over the world!
This video shows what the Camo Quilt Project is all about.
- Here is a website that tells more about Linda and the wonderful Camo Quilt Project!
- Here is another IMK post about an amazing effort one man makes to give back to veterans.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why do you think Linda wants to keep making quilts for soldiers?
- Do you know anyone in the military? How hard is it for them to be away from home?
- Visit the Camo Quilt Project website to learn how you can help with this worthy cause!
- Visit the Any Soldier website to learn other ways you can help soldiers during their time away!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.