UPDATE: Sweet Blessings has been named one of five regional finalists for Best New Charity for the Stay Classy Awards, America’s biggest philanthropy awards ceremony! You can help them win by voting using this link and clicking on South and then Best New Charity division!
On your birthday, a wonderful way to celebrate is by enjoying a cake that is made just for you! But sadly, for many people, birthdays have to be pushed aside when problems get too big….. life becomes about surviving day to day, and special occasions like birthdays simply get lost in the shuffle.
Ashley Boyd Gann had never taken much interest in cake-baking; however, the reality that some people don’t celebrate birthdays because their difficulties are too great intrigued her. Ashley decided she wanted to do something about that, so cake-baking took priority. Ashley enrolled in culinary school, and shortly after, her amazing organization, Sweet Blessings, was born. Today, Sweet Blessings bakes cakes for people in need and has created cake after cake to touch the lives of all kinds of deserving people. Best of all, Sweet Blessings reminds people that no matter what their problems may be, they are still special individuals who deserve to be celebrated!
This video tells all about Sweet Blessings and the wonderful impact it has.
- Here’s an article that tells all about the wonderful work of Sweet Blessings.
- Here’s another IMK post about girls who also bake treats for people in need!
Topics for Discussion:
- What special things do you do on your birthday?
- Why did Ashley feel the need to take up baking for people she didn’t even know?
- Think about someone you know who could use some joy in their life, and bake them a cake!
- Visit the Sweet Blessings website to learn more about this great organization and how you can help!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.