When Peyton Medick was eight years old, she watched a TV news show that talked about hunger in America. She learned about a boy who, at 5 years old, did not know what breakfast, lunch, and dinner were. Heartbroken, Peyton knew she had to do something to help.
Peyton realized that hunger was a problem right in her own community, so she started there. She began organizing canned food drives to collect food for local pantries, and thus the idea for Peyton’s Promise was born. Today, Peyton’s Promise is an organization that has so far collected 140,000 pounds of food and is, as Peyton puts it, “making the world a better place, one can at a time”!
This video shows what Peyton’s Promise is all about!
- Here are an article and a video in which Peyton tells about her amazing mission.
- Here’s another article that tells all about Peyton’s Promise!
Topics for Discussion:
- What would it be like to not even know what breakfast, lunch, and dinner are?
- Peyton saw a need in her community and the world and decided to do something about it. What need do you see that you can do something about?
- Visit the Peyton’s Promise website to learn how you can help Peyton with her mission!
- Visit the Feeding America website to learn other ways you can help fight hunger in America.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.