By any measure, Paul Callahan is an incredibly successful man. He is a husband, father, Harvard graduate, CEO of his own company, philanthropist, and world-class sailing expert. In fact, his sailing pursuits have taken him all the way to the Paralympics! But what makes Paul’s success even more tremendous is that he has accomplished all of these amazing things as a quadriplegic!
Because of his disability and his gratitude for still being able to find a way to sail, Paul decided that he wanted to take his success one step further. He did so by establishing Sail to Prevail, a sailing program that allows disabled kids to be able to find the same joy in sailing that he has. But even more importantly, Paul and his Sail to Prevail program allow these disabled kids to see that, despite their limitations, they can live their lives to the fullest, just as he is doing!
In this video, Paul talks about his yachting success and his amazing Sail to Prevail program.
- Here is Paul’s website, where you can learn even more about him!
- Here is another IMK post about a Canadian organization that helps give disabled people the ability to sail.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why do you think Paul wants to help disabled kids be able to sail?
- What would it be like to be a quadriplegic? How would your life be different than it is now?
- Visit the Sail to Prevail website to learn more about this great organization and how you can get involved!
- Visit the Disabled Athlete Sports Association website to learn about these amazing competitors and how you can support them!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.