For Jordan Somer, pageants have always been a very positive part of her life, helping her to find self-confidence, define and achieve goals, and feel good about herself. As a teenager, Jordan added another source of inspiration to her life when she helped out with the Special Olympics. The Special Olympics inspired her because she saw that its participants were able to focus on their abilities and let them shine through. As Jordan thought about her wonderful experiences with both pageanting and the Special Olympics, she came up with a truly “amazing” idea…..
Jordan realized that just as the Special Olympics have a tremendously positive impact on disabled people, so could pageants that recognize just how amazing they are. Thus, the idea for the Miss Amazing pageant program was born. Today, this program holds pageants in 11 states and helps its participants to feel great about themselves and to truly shine!
In this video, Jordan describes what Miss Amazing Inc. is all about!
- Here’s an article that tells all about the Miss Amazing pageant program and the great impact it’s having.
- Here’s another IMK post about a wonderful group that does its part to help disabled kids feel great about themselves!
Topics for Discussion:
- How are the Miss Amazing pageants different from other pageants?
- Why was it so important for Jordan to bring these pageants to disabled people?
- Visit the Miss Amazing website to learn more about this inspirational pageant program and how you can help support it!
- Visit the Special Olympics website to learn more about this incredible organization and how you can get involved!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.