Kamael Sugrim graduated from Stanford University in 2005. As such, she was lucky enough to be present for the famous commencement address Steve Jobs gave at Stanford that year. In fact, it was Steve Jobs’ speech that inspired Kamael to take part in founding an organization called mPowering that helps change the lives of those who need it most – the world’s poor.
mPowering is a non-profit organization that uses mobile technology to reach out to the world’s poorest people. Its system gives the poor opportunities to earn points that they can then trade in for necessities such as food and clothing. mPower not only helps meet the immediate needs of the poor, but also helps them improve their lives so that they can eventually rise out of the poverty in which they live!
In this video, Kamael talks about how Steve Jobs’ speech inspired her to help the poor.
- Here is an IMK post that tells about Steve Jobs and the 2005 Stanford commencement address that inspired Kamael.
Topics for Discussion:
- Do you think you could live on $2.00 a day, as many of the world’s poor do? How would you do it?
- Why is it important that mPowering helps the poor make long-term improvements in their lives?
- Learn about the poor in your community and what you can do to help them!
- Visit mPowering to learn more about this amazing organization and how you can get involved!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.