On March 8 each year, a wonderful celebration takes place, one that has been around for over a hundred years. The event is International Women’s Day, which started out as a day for recognizing women and fighting for their rights. Today, International Women’s Day is all that and more. It praises the achievements of inspirational women, continually works toward equality for women all over the world, and celebrates the potential of all women and girls to help make the world a better place.
In honor of International Women’s Day, the resources below provide stories of some of history’s most amazing women, share great quotes from inspirational women, and give ideas for how you can take part in this amazing day.
This video tells what International Women’s Day is all about.
- This website tells the stories of 50 women who changed the world.
- This website has great quotes from some of the world’s most inspirational women!
- This video has some great ideas for helping others as part of International Women’s Day!
Topics for Discussion:
- Which of the stories of inspiring women means the most to you?
- Who are the women in your life? How can you honor them on International Women’s Day?
- Visit the International Women’s Day website to learn more about this day and ways you can celebrate it!
- Visit the Teach a Girl page of the Oprah website to learn how you can help girls all over the world fulfill their potential as they grow into the women of tomorrow!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.