In April 2009, First Lady Michelle Obama made her first official trip overseas in her newly appointed position. During her trip, she visited a girls’ school in England called the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School. There, Mrs. Obama spoke to the students, sharing wonderful words of encouragement and wisdom.
She emphasized to them the importance of determination and education and the crucial role these factors will play as they grow into the movers and shakers of tomorrow.
Although Mrs. Obama’s speech was addressed to the girls of the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School, her wise words ring true not just for them but for students everywhere, young people who truly hold the future of the world in their hands!
This video shows Mrs. Obama’s inspirational April 2009 speech.
- Here’s an article that tells more about Mrs. Obama’s visit to the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School.
- Here’s an article that tells about a follow-up visit by Mrs. Obama in which she had more words of wisdom for girls from the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School as they visited Oxford.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why does Mrs. Obama feel determination and education are so important?
- What are some goals you have for the future?
- Make a commitment to yourself today that you will bring your best effort to your education!
- Visit the Help Educate Children website to learn how you can help ensure that kids all over the world get the education they deserve!