Every spring, on April 22, the world marks one of its most important observances – Earth Day! Why is it so significant? Earth Day is extremely important because it’s all about the future of the planet we call home!
Earth Day celebrates the earth we have and strongly encourages all people to help take care of our earth so that we can continue to enjoy its beauty, its gifts, and its invaluable resources. On Earth Day, people all over the world participate in “go green” events and learn just how important, and how easy, it is to treat our earthly home with care and preserve it for future generations as well!
This video describes how simple, small acts to help our earth can make a huge difference!
- Here is a website that has lots of great information about Earth Day!
- Here is another IMK post, from Earth Day 2011, that reiterates the significance of this day’s events!
Topics for Discussion:
- What could happen if we don’t take care of our earth?
- What is one simple thing you can do today to help take care of the earth?
- Visit the Earth Day activities page of the Kaboose website for great activities you can do in honor of Earth Day!
- Visit the Earth Day Network website to learn even more ways you can help the earth on Earth Day and every day!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.