It is often said that a dog is “man’s best friend”, but in the case of pit bull Diamond, this phrase means much more. Diamond is the pet of the Steen family from Hayward, CA, and the Steens’ love for her is beyond compare. This is because, besides being a wonderful pet and loyal companion, Diamond has also played the role of lifesaver!
In October 2010, Diamond was at home with her family late at night when a fire broke out in the house. Diamond sensed danger and barked to alert the Steens – Darryl, Darahne, and Sierra. Darryl and Darahne got out, but Sierra did not. Firefighters made their way into the burning building to get Sierra, and when they did, they discovered that Diamond was lying on top of her, getting burned as she protected the girl! Because of her incredible courage and sacrifice, Diamond saved Sierra’s life and earned herself the status of hero extraordinaire!
This video tells the amazing story of Diamond and her courageous act.
- Here’s an article that tells all about Diamond and her tremendous act!
- Here’s another article that tells about Diamond’s exceptional bravery.
Topics for Discussion:
- What do you think made Diamond able to be so brave and selfless?
- Do you have a dog? What makes your dog special to you?
- Visit the Best Friends Animal Society website to learn more about pit bulls and how you can help them!
- Visit the website for the American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to learn how you can help all kinds of animals!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.