16 year old Chy Johnson was born with a brain disorder that made her the target of bullies at her High School in Queen Creek, Arizona. After learning how their classmate was being treated, football stars Carson Jones and Tucker Workman decided to take action. And instead of going after the bullies, they took a more peaceful path. They became Chy’s good friend. With their support, Chy is now able to go to school without fear of bullying and her life has changed.
And their support has not gone unnoticed: Chy Johnson and Carson Jones will be by recognized by the Arizona Legislature in 2013 for their anti-bullying efforts.
Watch this video to learn about Chy, Carson and this great story of friendship, caring and teamwork:
- Watch other great IMK stories about bullying
Topics for Discussion:
- Have you ever been a bully? Have you ever been bullied? What each of these make you feel like?
- What values did the football team portray? What values do bullies portray?
- Stopbullying.gov provides are a bunch of great ideas on what you can do to stop bullying in your home, school or community
- Starting today…if you feel like doing something mean to someone…stop and think about it first. Then, find something else to do. Instead of doing something mean, consider doing something kind, like the Queen Creek Football team did. You will feel better about yourself and you will make the world a better place.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.