Like many teenage girls, Adele Taylor has a passion for reading. However, for Adele, simply reading on her own was not enough. Adele’s passion for reading made her realize that all kids should be able to have the gift of reading, and that reading could help kids be successful in life. And that inspired her to action….
When she was thirteen, Adele decided to begin an organization called Adele’s Literacy Library. The goal of her library was to make sure all kids could have books and come to share in her love of reading. Today, Adele’s Literacy Library has donated thousands of books to kids, helping them believe, as she does, that “through reading…..ALL things are possible”!
In this video, Adele talks about her inspiration for creating her literacy library.
- Here is the Adele’s Literacy Library website, which has lots of information about Adele’s great work!
- Here is another IMK post about a girl who wants to bring books and reading to all kids!
Topics for Discussion:
- Do you believe that reading is important? Why or why not?
- Adele uses her passion to help others. Can you use a passion of yours to help others like she does?
- Visit the Adele’s Literacy Library web bookstore to find out how you can help support her worthy cause!
- Visit the Room to Read website to learn how you can help kids all over the world enjoy the gift of reading!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.