Wesley Autrey was just an average New Yorker, waiting for the subway on the afternoon of January 2, 2007. But in an instant, Wesley became a hero. While he waited on the subway platform, Wesley watched a man collapse and fall onto the train tracks. He heard the sound of the subway train coming, and he knew what he had to do. Wesley jumped down onto the tracks……
Wesley could tell that the train was not going to be able to stop in time, so he acted quickly. He rolled himself and the man into a narrow ditch in the middle of the tracks, and the train rolled over the pair, barely missing them but ultimately not hurting them. Because of his incredible bravery and quick thinking, Wesley was able to save another man’s life!
In this video, Wesley tells the story of his amazing feat.
- Here is an article that tells about Wesley being recognized for his brave act.
- Here is another article about Wesley and his selfless heroism.
Topics for Discussion:
- Do you think you could have done what Wesley did that fateful afternoon?
- What do you think made Wesley jump on the tracks and risk his life to save another?
- Wesley Autrey has been described as an “everyday hero”. But you don’t have to save a life to be one! What can you do to be an everyday hero to someone in your life?
- Visit the Values.com website to learn more ways you can become an everyday hero yourself!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.