Melissa Stockwell and Scott Winkler are two U.S. veterans who became handicapped in Iraq. Upon their returns home, each found a new lease in life by pursuing a sport – Melissa began swimming and Scott took up shot put. Both athletes not only pursued their sports, but even went so far as to compete in the 2008 Paralympics!
This video tells the story of these two inspirational athletes.
- Here is Melissa’s website, where you can learn more about her amazing story!
- Here is an article that tells more of Scott’s incredible story!
Topics for Discussion:
- What qualities in Melissa and Scott do you think motivated them to strive to be Paralympic athletes?
- Do you know any U.S. veterans who served in Iraq?
- Visit the website for Scott’s foundation, Champions Made From Adversity, to learn how you can help support these amazing people!
- Visit the website for the U.S. Paralympic Team to learn more about these incredible athletes and how you can support them!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.