Taylor Storch was just 13 in March 2010 when she lost her life in a tragic skiing accident. As her family mourned her loss, they also knew that her death did not have to be in vain. That’s because Taylor became an organ donor.
Ultimately, through the tragedy of Taylor’s death, priceless gifts of life and hope were given to 5 different people. In honor of Taylor, the Storches started a charitable organization called Taylor’s Gift to raise awareness about organ donation. Today, although nothing can erase the pain of losing Taylor, the Storches get strength knowing that because of Taylor’s organ donation, 5 people are living lives they might not otherwise have been able to. And hopefully, through the efforts of the Storches to increase awareness of organ donation, many more lives will be saved.
In this video, Taylor’s mom talks about Taylor and the lives she was able to save.
- Here is an article that tells all about the Taylor’s Gift foundation.
- Here is a video in which the Storches get to meet the recipient of their daughter’s precious gift, her heart.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why did the Storches want to establish the Taylor’s Gift foundation?
- How do you think the Storches feel knowing that through Taylor’s death, the lives of 5 people were saved?
- One of Taylor’s goals was to help others, and after her death her family made sure that happened. What goal do you have that you can start on today?
- Visit the Taylor’s Gift website to learn more about this foundation, established in Taylor’s memory, and how you can get involved!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.