Air Force Master Sergeant Joseph Myers hoped to see his daughter while she was still in 4th grade. On the next-to-last day of school, he got his wish. He was reunited with Hannah after spending 350 days away from home in Iraq.
As you can see in the pictures, Hannah was caught completely off-guard by the surprise. Hannah and her classmates were told that special guests would be coming to speak and take some pictures. Then Hannah’s mom and dad came in, along with several reporters. Dad couldn’t put into words how much he missed his daughter. Based on Hannah’s facial expressions, the feeling was mutual.
- Here is a video of a soldiers and thier dogs reuniting!
- Here is a video compilation of soldiers’ reunions with family and pets, including Hannah and her dad up front!
Topics for Discussion:
- How would you feel if your father had to go away for a year?
- What qualities did Hannah show in giving extra help to her mother while her father was away?
- While her dad was away, Hannah worked extra hard to help her mom during the difficult time. What can you do to help your parents when things get tough?
- Check out the National Military Family Association website to learn ways to help the families of soldiers who are away on military duty!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.