When he was in first grade, Ryan Hreljac learned that there were people in the world who had no clean water, and it moved him. Right then and there, he decided he wanted to help people get clean water. So Ryan started doing extra chores and raising money to provide wells for people in underdeveloped countries. In 1999, at age 7, Ryan earned and raised enough to have his first well built.
After this success, Ryan continued raising money for wells. Witihn a few short years, the Ryan’s Well Foundation was established. Today, this foundation has provided wells for hundreds of thousands of people all over the world!
This video tells all about Ryan and his inspiring work.
- Here is an article about Ryan and an interview with him.
- Here is another article that tells Ryan’s amazing story.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why was it so important to Ryan to help give people clean water?
- How did Ryan’s positive actions influence those around him?
- Ryan says that his work is like dropping a pebble in water and creating a ripple effect. What pebble can you drop to create your own ripple effect?
- Visit the Ryan’s Well Foundation website to learn more about Ryan’s work and how you can get involved!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.