Nadin Khoury and his family had lived in Liberia, but that country’s civil war caused them to flee to America in search of a better life. That was their hope as they settled into in their new Philadelphia neighborhood home in 2010. But then came the start of school, and with it came bullying. Bullies targeted Nadin because he was a new kid, he was small, and his mother was African.
The bullying came to a head on January 11, 2011. On that day, a group of seven teenagers attacked Nadin as he walked home from school. And they even went so far as to videotape it and put the video on Youtube! However, the teenagers’ decision to post the video on Youtube proved to be their undoing. Armed with the video as proof, Nadin spoke up against his attackers. When asked why he had shown the courage to speak up, he replied, “if other people can hear what happened, maybe somebody can step in and help”.
This video shows Nadin telling his story and getting a special surprise.
- Here is an article that tells Nadin’s incredible story.
- Here is another article about Nadin and how his story affected NFL star DeSean Jackson.
Topics for Discussion:
- Have you ever been bullied? How did you feel when it was happening?
- What made Nadin decide to speak out against those who bullied him?
- If you experience bullying or see it happen to someone else, be inspired by Nadin’s courage and speak up!
- Visit the Stop Bullying Now website to learn what you can do to help stop bullying!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.