Liz Murray’s life started off in a pretty typical way – she had two parents and a sister, and she had a home to live in with them. But that life quickly turned bad, because her parents were drug addicts who neglected Liz and her sister to support their habits. The addiction ended up destroying her family and the life she had with them. Liz’ mom died when she was a teenager, and after that she and her family lost their home and became homeless. But the death also motivated Liz to make her life better. She pursued an education, graduating high school in just two years, and then went on to graduate from Harvard University!
In this video, Liz Murray talks about her inspirational journey.
- Here is an article that gives more information about Liz and her amazing determination.
- Here is another video, in which Liz talks about an organization called Blessings in a Backpack.
Topics for Discussion:
- What would it be like to be homeless? How would your life be different than it is now?
- Liz called her mom’s death a turning point. Have you ever had a turning point in your life that motivated you to do something positive?
- Check out Liz’ Manifest Living website to learn ways you can help yourself along your journey!
- Visit the Blessings in A Backpack website to find out how you can help this worthy cause!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.