Diabetes is a disease that affects millions of people. And for a kid with diabetes, it is a challenging effort just to have a normal childhood! Daily, a diabetic kid must monitor blood sugar levels, be cautious about which foods to eat, and take doses of insulin. These things and other complications make it difficult for a kid to pursue everyday activities like sports, school activities, and parties. As one parent so aptly noted, kids with diabetes grow up fast!
Here is a video in which one young girl tells her story of living with diabetes.
- Check out this website to learn more about diabetes and how it impacts kids who have it.
- Here are two more videos about kids with diabetes.
Topics for Discussion:
- What is diabetes? What is happening in your body if you have this disease?
- What would it be like to have diabetes? How would your life be different than it is now?
- Do you know anyone with diabetes? Talk to them about their disease and see what you can do to help make their life a little easier!
- Visit the Children With Diabetes website to learn more about diabetes and what you can do to help kids with this disease.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.