Shifra Mincer was a shy sixth grader when she was asked a question that changed her life. While serving dinner at a soup kitchen, someone asked the question “Can anyone here sew?”. Although she was nervous, Shifra spoke up and said that she could sew. It started her on a journey of kindness that would continue for years. This article tells her story.
Here is a video about another woman who shares Shifra’s passion for helping others by sewing for them.
- Here is an article in which Shifra talks about how she uses her sewing skills to help others.
- Here is an article in which Shifra tells of her wonderful experience of helping others.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why was Shifra afraid to speak up at first?
- What did Shifra learn as she began to sew people’s clothes each week?
- Do you have a special skill or talent? Find a way to use it to help others, just like Shifra did!
- Visit the website for the Harvard Square Homeless Shelter, who Shifra worked with in college, to learn how you can help.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.