In 2001, Erik Weihenmayer achieved a goal that many have sought but only a few have attained – he scaled Mount Everest. This feat is amazing in itself, but it is made even more incredible by the fact that Erik is blind! Despite his blindness, and with help from an amazing support team, Erik defied the odds and made it to the top of Mount Everest.
This video tells about Erik’s awe-inspiring trip to the top of Mount Everest.
- Here is Erik’s website, where you can learn more about him and his incredible climb!
- Here is a video in which Erik talks about adversity and how people can use it to achieve greatness.
Topics for Discussion:
- How was Erik able to overcome his blindness and reach the summit of Mount Everest?
- Erik says that he believes some people succeed because of their adversity. Do you think this is true?
- Visit the Pick the Brain website for tips on how you can overcome adversity in order to achieve your goals!
- Visit the website for Junior Blind of America to learn about their efforts for blind people and how you can help!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.