Chelsea Baker is no normal 13-year-old. She can throw a fastball 65 miles an hour! And with the help of a great mentor, a retired pro baseball pitcher, Chelsea also learned how to throw a knuckleball. She’s one of the best young pitchers in the country and she’s breaking barriers every day. Chelsea has already thrown two perfect games in one year against all-boys’ Little League teams. She has also been contacted by the Baseball Hall of Fame – they want her to donate her number 12 jersey to them!
Here is a video that shows Chelsea’s pitching prowess and also what a great kid she is!
- Here is another video that tells Chelsea’s story.
Topics for Discussion:
- What qualities does Chelsea show when playing Little League baseball with boys?
- Why do you think some people make negative comments about Chelsea playing Little League?
- How important is practice in reaching your goals?
- Chelsea shows courage by playing in a boys’ league. Think of something you’re afraid to do, and just go for it!
- For some fun ways to learn about courageous women in history, check out the Women’s History Month section of the Crayola website!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.