In the country of Belize, chess has become much more than a game. In an effort to help the many disadvantaged children of Belize, the Belize National Youth Chess Foundation runs classes and camps to teach the kids chess. The foundation uses the chess lessons as an educational and motivational tool. For these struggling children in Belize, learning chess gives them an opportunity to achieve something positive and teaches them some very important lessons for life.
This video tells the story of the foundation’s Sibun Kingdom Chess Camp and how it is helping the children of Belize.
- Here are pictures of the chess-playing and other activities that happen at the foundation’s Sibun Kingdom Chess Camp.
- Here is a website that tells about the Belize National Youth Chess Foundation and its efforts to help kids by teaching them chess.
Topics for Discussion:
- Do you know how to play chess? What has it taught you about decision-making?
- What are some of the life lessons the kids in Belize have learned through playing chess?
- Visit the ChessKids Academy website so you can learn how to play chess yourself!
- Visit the James Arthur Albert Foundation website to learn about this group’s efforts to help the kids of Belize and how you can get involved.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.