“That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” These were the words astronaut Neil Armstrong spoke on July 20, 1969, as he became the first man to ever step foot on the moon. On that historic day, after years of research and careful planning, the dream of reaching and exploring the moon finally came true.
When astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon on that day in July 1969, they made history. But just as important, they also opened the door to a whole new era of space exploration. Today, many more journeys into space have been made, and they owe much to the success that was achieved on that incredible day in July 1969.
This video shows the historic moment when the astronauts landed on the moon.
- Here’s a website that tells all about the Apollo 11 mission!
- Here’s a website that also tells about Apollo 11 and shows lots of pictures!
Topics for Discussion:
- How do you think Neil Armstrong felt when he first stepped onto the moon?
- If you could, would you like to travel to the moon one day?
- Visit the NASA (National Aeronautic and Space Administration) website to learn more about astronauts, their space missions, and how you might get involved!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.