Andrew Adansi-Bonnah is only 11, but he’s not too young to make a difference. Recently, Andrew saw pictures of the famine in Somalia. When he saw that children just like himself were starving to death, he decided he wanted to do what he could to help.
Andrew was on an 8-week break from school, and he decided to use his free time to try to help the kids of Somalia. He started a campaign called Save Somali Children From Hunger, and he began walking to each office in the city of Accra, Ghana collecting donations. As of now, Andrew has already collected thousands of dollars and is doing his part to help end the famine in Somalia!
This video tells about the famine in Somalia.
- Here is an article about Andrew and his efforts to help Somalia.
- Here is another article about Andrew and his incredible campaign.
Topics for Discussion:
- What is a famine? What happens when one hits a country?
- Why is Andrew doing what he is to help the people of Somalia?
- Andrew saw a problem in the world and decided to help in whatever way he could, however small. How about you? What is something you can do to help others?
- Visit the Mercy Usa website to learn how you can help the people of Somalia.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.