Anaiah Rucker doesn’t consider herself a hero – she thinks she is just a typical 9-year-old girl. But on a rainy day in February 2011, Anaiah’s actions were anything but typical, and they ranked her with the bravest of heroes. On that day, as Anaiah and her sister were crossing a street, she saw a truck coming at them and pushed her sister out of the way, taking the hit herself. Anaiah was severely injured, spent a month in the hospital, and even had to have her left leg amputated due to the accident. But at the end of it all, her only concern was for her sister.
In this video, Anaiah tells her amazing story.
- Here is an article that tells about Anaiah’s heroic feat.
- Visit the Steve Chamberland page of the Tampa Bay Online Mobile website to learn how this professional wrestler helped Anaiah and wants to help others like her.
Topics for Discussion:
- What made Anaiah do what she did?
- Do you think you could have been as brave as Anaiah was in the face of such great danger?
- Visit the Active Rain website to learn more about Anaiah’s heroism and how you can help her.
- Visit the eFundraising Online website to find out how you can help support Anaiah as she recovers.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.