Amy Purdy is a snowboarder, skateboarder, wakeboarder, public speaker, fundraiser, actress, model, and make-up artist! The list things she has already accomplished in her life is amazing. But what’s even more amazing is that Amy has achieved all of these things despite having her lower legs amputated at age 19!
When Amy first had her lower legs amputated, she thought she’d never be able to play sports again. But through hard work, determination, and the help of others, she regained her sports abilities and now is able to do the sports she loves so much. To help others in situations like hers, Amy founded Adaptive Action Sports, so that people with disabilities could participate in sports and live life to the fullest, just as she is doing!
In this video, Amy tells her incredible story.
- Here is a link to Amy’s website!
- This video highlights Amy’s Adaptive Action Sports organization.
Topics for Discussion:
- How would you feel if you lost the use of your lower legs? How would your life change?
- What qualities do you think Amy has that have allowed her to overcome her disability and achieve so many things?
- Visit the website for Adaptive Action Sports to learn how you can help support Amy’s worthy cause!
- Visit the website for the Athletes With Disabilities Network to learn how you can support other athletes like Amy!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.